When you’re remodeling your kitchen or building one from scratch, one of the biggest decisions to make is which style of refrigerator is best for you. If you’re looking for a refrigerator that will transform your ordinary kitchen into a luxury kitchen, then a built-refrigerator is the best choice. “A what?!,” you may ask. “What exactly is a built-in refrigerator?”
Don’t worry, we’re here to help!
What Is A Built-In Refrigerator?
Built-in refrigerators are often considered the signature feature of high-end kitchens. Nothing matches their aesthetics, as they can be seamlessly integrated into the layout of the kitchen. There are models that are suited to fit your every need, including under-counter refrigerators. Here are the specific characteristics you’ll often see with built-in refrigerators:
- The depth is exactly in-line with the cabinetry and counters, giving it a very slick look. Full-sized models are often taller and wider than their freestanding counterparts, to help compensate for the depth that is sacrificed for the seamless look.
- The refrigerator’s compressor is often built on top, as opposed to the bottom that is common with other models.
- There is often more high-end options within, such as wine cabinets and high tech temperature settings.
- Installation will need to be done by a professional.
- Many options will have interchangeable panels (also called integrated refrigerators), giving it a fully integrated look within your kitchen.
Built-in refrigerators give you the option to make your kitchen truly unique. With an integrated refrigerator, it becomes indistinguishable from the rest of your cabinetry. The front panels can be swapped out to achieve this look. For example, there are models (see right) from Sub-Zero that have no visible hinges or grilles, while maintaining their high-end features within.
Built-In Models Examples
Here are some examples of our other favorite built-in models to give you an even a better idea of what to expect. You’ll notice that these models have many of the aforementioned features, such as the depth being in-line with the cabinetry and the compressor built on top. Also take note of the contrast in styles (over-and-under, side-by-side, under-counter) that are available. To learn more about each brand and their offerings, click on each of their links below.
Is a Built-In Refrigerator The Best Option For Your Kitchen?
The answer for this varies. While your budget is certainly a factor, you must also consider the stylistic differences between free-standing alternatives. If a sleek and contemporary look with high-end interior features is a priority for your kitchen, a built-in refrigerator is the way to go.